Honey and
Ricotta
food, life, ramblings

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Justin Gellatly: Swiss Almond Cake


A last minute ticket to the cricket came available last weekend, which meant picnic planning had to happen quickly. Maman had nibbles and the main event sorted, mainly sourced from her beautiful veggie patch. Unsurprisingly, and perhaps intentionally, this left me with pudding. A quick scan through all my bookmarked recipes, and I settled upon Justin Gellatly's Swiss almond cake.



Justin Gellatly, for those of you who are unaware, is the genius who is behind Bread Ahead, and namely their doughnuts (which I raved about here, for those of you who missed it!). After that heavenly experience, I would never doubt anything he does, so I set about baking this fluffy, sweet, nutty cake with absolute confidence that it would turn out perfectly if I followed his every word. Well, that didn't quite go to plan. I went wrong at step one with not having the right size cake tin so things had to be altered a little, but a few hours later I had a Justin Gellatly cake sitting on my kitchen sideboard, and a long torturous night of waiting until it could be cut open at Lords the next day.


The praline-y top is what makes this cake so great. Don't cut corners, follow the instructions and you won't be disappointed. The recipe can be found here. I'm off to buy his book right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_09.jpg  photo s_10.jpg